Monday, January 26, 2009

Phi Phi, Phuket and Bangkok at night
























































Well let me see - there will be a few pics of Phi Phi while I was there......I did a short boat tour to Phi Phi Lay where we snorkeled and got to stop at the beach where they filmed "The Beach"(see pics) - then a hour and a half ferry to Phucket. Very shortly after my arrival here I got the feeling that I indeed had made a mistake. The more remote area around Ko Lanta surely would have suited me better than the touristy hustle and bustle of Phuket for a final beach/island stop. But much to my surprise and delight my friend/travel companion Ali, had a little birthday surprise waiting and as it turned out I had a very nice 5? b-day celebration - thanks Ali! By the way that is a pina colada.



The following day we did a little tour of Phuket town as well as some of the more popular beaches, Karon and Patong, and managed to get some beach time at Kata, where we were staying. Alot of wondering between the two of us about what this place may have looked like 4 years ago after the tsunami - but it was surely making a comeback.




On our third and final day on Phucket Ali and I said our good byes as she continues on her SE Asian tour and I unfortunately am heading back to Calgary after two more days in Bangkok........I hear it's awfully cold back there again - I remember last year returning to work to a -49 day after Playa del Carmen. I wonder if I could possibly be so lucky this year?




Arrived in Bangkok at about 4pm today and it is exremely hot and smoggy. They celebrated the Chinese New Year's in a big way here and Kosahn Rd - a big backpackers haven - is where I'm staying and it is very busy - there was a parade with elephants going on when I arrived. Looking forward to seeing more of the architecture and temples tomorrow and may head up to an older city - Ayuthuya - on Wed. It's almost over!!


Brian

No comments: