Tuesday, February 17, 2009

More Bangkok


homeward bound

a "street" entertainer
my last Thai meal - only $1.80 and way more than I needed
last minute shopping - hey men do it too!
Kosahn rd from the pool deck at Rikkas

Jim Thompsons House
After Wat Po I looked for a tuk tuk driver to get me home.........while negotiating a reasonable fare a passer-by Eva, from Sweden, volunteered to get be back to Kosahn Rd - got to take in a few more sights, share about our respective travels and I saved a few baht!! Once back, we shared a meal together courtesy of one particularly intersting street vendor - Eva was a bit more adventurous, or perhaps the right description would be courageous, than myself!! I then took in a few of the sights and sounds of this busy area before calling it a night.

On my final full day I was up fairly early determined to see and experience more of Bangkok. I hiked a few blocks to the Khlong San Sap ferry and took a ride several kms to the Ratchathewee transit station. I then boarded a monorail to the very farthest point north......somewhere near the big Chatuchak weekend market......unfortunately it was Wednesday so I opted for plan B - a hike around the nearby park. Afterwards back south on the monorail to the Victory Monument and then on to a tour of Jim Thompsons House (the man who revived the Thai silk industry in the 40's). Afterwards back on the canal ferry to my original location and one last Wat - the Golden Mount.......and of course the 2 or 300 stairs that seem to be common to all these Wats!!!!



hmmm - dinner time

Wat Po or the Reclining Buddha

No comments: