Sunday, February 8, 2009

Part 11 - the Phi Phi Islands

leaving Phi Phi
the east beach





Maya Beach


Coral Bay
morning long tail trip to Phi Phi Lay




to the viewpoint


the "streets" of Phi Phi

the view from my room



Left Krabi about 9 am - on my own again as Ali and I had different ideas about this portion of the trip - for me Krabi to Phi Phi to Phuket and then onto my final few days in Bangkok made most sense whereas she wanted to come back south to Ko Lanta after a few days in Phuket - so I would meet her there after a one day stop at Phi Phi.

Arrived about 10:30 on a boat that I'm sure had twice the amount of passengers that it was safely designed to carry. It took me about an hour and a half and alot of uphill walking to finally find a reasonably priced room ($1000 baht) - I also had to climb about 65 stairs to get there and it had no air, cold showers and mosquito netting around the bed - a pretty good indication that it might be an uncomfortable night - but it did have a pool - hadn't had that since Ko Samui!! Phi Phi is a wonderful place - no vehicles and a real nice feel - but it is a bit more expensive.

Did a small hike to a view point that day - I think I counted about 445 steps - very nice views of the townsite, beaches and hills in the area and there was quite a group of photographers at the top waiting for the sunset.

Enjoyed a laid back night just wondering the streets (are they called streets if there are no vehicles?) and a great meal at a nice little Thai restaraunt - met a young guy from Toronto, Orest, so it was nice to talk a bit of hockey over dinner......and later I pondered the meaning of it all - birthdays have a way of getting a person a bit introspective, but hey I'm way past mid life crisis stuff - must be late-midlife crisis stuff???

The next day I signed up for another morning boat tour to Phi Phi Lay Island - the bigger one, where I was staying and all the tourists are is called Phi Phi Don. This trip was very comparable to the Krabi sunset tour - great snorkeling and amazing scenery - the highlight probably being Maya Beach where the movie "The Beach" was filmed.......but very crowded - the pics with all the boats near the beach!!

Back at noon......a little more beach time then on the next ferry to Phucket!


my wonderful room at? - actually it wasn't all that bad



the pier and west beach at Phi Phi Don



leaving Krabbi, Rail lay beach on a very crowded boat

No comments: